Description: Medium in size, comes in a variety of colours but normally a grey orange, large abdomen, yellowish web.
Garden orb weavers are normally found around shrubs and between buildings. Often times when people walk into webs they are walking into a garden orb weavers web. This tactic is great for flying insects to land straight on their webs for a meal. They generally will bite their prey and back away until the prey has perished. Once perished they will consume it in the idle of the web. With larger prey, they will generally let it go if there is enough food in and around where they web. This is why bites on humans are very low compared with other spiders.
Life Span: 1 year.
To best control or stop the Garden orb weaver, a few easy steps can be taken which include:
- Lowering moisture in areas outside the house.
- Keeping the grass cut short.
- Clean rubbish build up externally.
- Keep a close eye on children’s play equipment not having webs.
- Check and wear gloves working outside.
- Wear shoes outside.
- Call De-Pest Masters Australia on 1300 17 10 77 for your personalised control programme.