Description: Medium in size, Large eyes in a square on its head, generally a grey brown in colour, females carry young on its back.
The Wolf spider is generally found all over Australia and has extremely good vision compared to majority of spiders. They are ground dwelling spiders and you can normally tell their burrows by seeing a web lining over the lid. In Sydney they are normally found around the garden areas where leaf litter is present. Wolf spiders also have eyeshine which is when you shine a light at its eyes and a reflection of light can be seen. This makes it easier to spot them at night. The wolf spider carries its young on its abdomen everywhere the female wolf spider goes which no other species of spider does.
Life Span: 1 to 2 years.
Toxicity: Toxic, but not lethal.
To best control or stop the Wolf spider, a few easy steps can be taken which include:
- Lowering moisture in areas outside the house.
- Keeping the grass cut short.
- Clean rubbish build up externally.
- Look out for holes in ground or covered holes in the ground.
- Check and wear gloves working outside.
- Wear shoes outside.
- Call De-Pest Masters Australia on 1300 17 10 77 for your personalised control programme.